Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Executive what???

I'm not sure how many moms know what their sons/daughters do for their living. I mean... the profession of "their kids". They might know in a broad perspective as to where it falls but not about the designation or the complications involved. Here's what transpired between my mom and me when I tried explaining my job.


Rider:

************

I work for a leading Search and Selection firm in India - assisting big MNCs and niche start-ups find leadership talent. (At least, thats what I'm supposed to say to ppl for a briefer).

************

My mom has a faint idea that I did my masters specializing in HR.. and hence of the belief that her son is shooting down stars in that arena. Well... that’s more than what she needs to know for a peaceful life. Good.


One fine day, I saw my mom talking to her long lost friend over the phone... exchanging pleasantries, old time memories, recent gossips and about their respective kids. *Question from the other end of the phone: So.. whats Sri doing. Was a puny little thing with a red "chaddi" and running nose when I saw him last. (Gosh!! the colour "RED" + runnign nose - Did I ever exist??)


Well... he is a grown boy.. sorry.. young man... married with a daughter. "HE IS WORKING IN SOME / AS SOME HR".(what does that mean). The all understanding blessed soul at the other end reports about her side of story and manages to hangup.


Mom asks: Shall I serve dinner??

Me: Yes Ma... by the way... do you really know what I really do at my office??

Mom: Yes.. some HR stuff!

Me: Ma... I'm into "executive search"

Mom: executive WHAT??

Me: Search... We scout for senior people in the industry and connect them with suitable opportunities/organisations.

Mom: That sounds like what Govindan does..


***Govindan is a marriage broker. hooks up prospective bride and grooms.


I didn't know what to say.. I paused for a couple of seconds and said... amma... konjam sambar oothu (Serve me some sambar).


Ippadikku - Sri



2 comments:

Nithya said...

nice! kalakkarel athimber :)

Sowmya Srikrishnan said...

What laziness! How can you cut copy paste from your own blog?

Write something new man!